Magical things.



There are times in our working lives when we start to look forwards wondering what is still ahead of us. It’s at these points in time when we can start to dream big about using all of our talents to their full potential, in addition to hoping for something magical to occur.


Often at career change points we also tend to look backwards. Jobs we have done and career decisions we have taken were right at that moment in time. For each decision we have learnt something before we follow the next signpost to something shiny and new.


At the start of a new academic year there are those starting new jobs and they have learnt so much from their previous jobs. They are ready to shine brightly.



There are other colleagues entering the new academic year wondering how they are going to flourish in their current role. These colleagues will get to the other side of the challenge they are in. They might not yet realise the learning journey they are on.

Working our way through challenges brings change. Change brings an emotional response and our experiences help us make future choices.



Challenges sometimes require us to be honest with ourselves and to realise that there are moments when asking for help is the advice we would give to others. Asking for help within a department, from a line manager/ friend / colleague / mentor or coach might not be something we think of doing as adults. Sometimes we feel as though we should be able to solve things by ourselves. If we put ourselves in the shoes of students asking for help - that’s exactly what we tell them to do when they are stuck. 

I remember feeling stuck at the start of my career and I came across a compassionate and empathetic leader. 




I interviewed internally on a Thursday and was told the appointment would be made at 12pm the next day. I was due to be on an external interview the next day, the last day in summer term to resign. The compassionate and empathetic leader had a frank and honest discussion with me about how to deal with the next day. I clearly remember them ringing me just before 12pm in the middle of my external interview day. I didn’t get the internal role but I got great interview feedback and guidance to help me with my interview panel 20 minutes after that call. I also learnt that a compassionate leader can deliver challenging messages that empower others to flourish. 

The empathy the leader showed in that call meant a lot. Those moments teach us about the strength of kind leaders. I felt really bad ringing them back to say I had accepted the external role but they reminded me that it was the right job for me. Again a leader showing kindness.



So if you have a magical new job - enjoy. If you are feeling stuck - be brave and have courage to dream big. We all have the ability to grow something new and to blossom. Sometimes with a little help, when required.

Comments