Crying a river





 
No one prepares you for the moment you leave a headship. NPQH trainers take you through the mechanics of headship and stepping into headship but what about stepping out of a headship. Every day as a headteacher is full of emotions that we become adept at managing. The highs and lows of big events almost become the norm, so much so that even when “the call” comes we can easily appear calm (whilst being the opposite inside). But stepping away from a headship - well that’s a whole new wave of emotions. 

Saying goodbye to a workplace that you have spent more hours in than your own home for several years is always going to be challenging. Writing my speech for awards evening I even planned with a colleague a signal for them to step in, as writing the words was challenging what was it going to be like to present it to a hall full of people watching and listening. Practise, practise, practise those tricky sentences. The magical headteacher skill will kick in to keep you afloat in those big moments. 

As teachers we are always able to find the positive for children. When they say they’ll miss you when you are leaving the two options I stuck to were reminding them of school memories and pointing them to new events on the horizon. Celebrating collective memories is a powerful way to support others. As a headteacher helping others manage your departure is also part of the job. It’s little wonder that my go to guru of headteacher guidance told me to be kind to myself as I left this headship. They calmly told me from their experience that an outgoing headteacher may feel like they are leaving family - how true. With their words echoing in my head as I drove to school in that final week I kept telling myself to cherish every moment and by acknowledging emotions that was my only way to be kind to myself. 

It was only when the leadership team politely pointed out that they were taking control of leavers speeches that I knew the biggest test was coming. Laughter, tears and many memories were presented by a colleague who knows me so well. As a structured leaving event the formal setting enables emotional regulation on a certain level. Particularly useful is not reading leaving cards until you are ready and that could be days later. Be kind to yourself is the go to phrase. 

The final school day is not so structured with students and staff popping by to say goodbye. Emotional regulation can be tricky so find a way that works for you. Find a normal behaviour routine to reset throughout the day. I took a radio and helped with the pastoral team giving me freedom to pop in to classes walking school as normal. 

The beauty of being a secondary school Headteacher is that the final school day isn’t really the last day. There are still results’ days ahead. An opportunity to see colleagues and exam year groups again before the final goodbye. I’ve got a few glorious weeks of reprieve to get ready for those days. 

Leaving a family is hard to do. Leaving a school is hard too. It is such an honour to lead a school. I can thoroughly recommend it, so much so that a second headship is on the horizon for me. Looking back some talk about leaving an impact and a legacy. I’m not yet at that point but know that with distance I’ll rationally rather than emotionally see it. 

For me I’ll close this chapter of school leadership with a quote from Winnie the Pooh who had many friends on his adventures, I did too. 

Comments