#teacher5aday 2019

There is nothing I dread more than a beach holiday, so why did I book one the minute I knew I was about to take on an Acting leadership role? I have taken on acting leadership roles before and have always found that mid-year is a challenge as there is an expectation from stakeholders for you to fill all aspects of the role swiftly. 7 1/2 weeks I knew would be about giving my all as well as my best. So the summer term was the chaos before a calm holiday where I was stranded on an island with nowhere to go apart from the sea or the pool. It did give me time to reflect.

As the new school year approaches I am planning lessons and my own #teacher5aday pledge for 2019/20.

#exercise has been a challenge for the past few years due to injury and the hours needed to set up a new school. I have been inspired by the run every day movement but my pledge is yoga every school day 190 sessions is my personal goal. I even have an office yoga programme!

#learn as a lifelong learner there are times books are helpful and other moments when on the job learning takes priority. Having just finished my NPQH and started a headship role my learning pledge is to embrace those challenging moments, which are bound to happen, and find the positive learning point. The aim is to become a positive leadership role model.

#connect is critical as teaching can be a lonely profession in a classroom seeing no other adult all day. For my first 38 days as a headteacher I felt the loneliness which accompanies the weight of ultimate accountability. I pledge to connect with leaders via networks such as #womened

#volunteer roles can be a way of looking up and beyond your current setting. My role on the Chartered College of Teaching Council comes to an end shortly. I have been an advocate for the College since it began, have been impressed with the quality of Fellowship applications, standard of research resources and how there is a positive professional profile being consistently given for our wonderful profession. If you are looking for a volunteer pledge do stand for the elections - you won’t regret it. I am pledging to support #teacher5aday by being on the newly formed steering group. #WEllbeingbeginswithWE

#notice is my most important pledge. On my island holiday my daughter asked if I could be more like holiday mum at home during term time and leave teacher mum at school. She had noticed that I may be physically present at home but mentally still at school. So I pledge not just to get home in time to be with family but to #notice my mental presence too.

My pledge goes further though as I am responsible for staff wellbeing. We have a staff wellbeing room with displays to support and sustain us. I pledge to have a #teacher5aday display and to get our staff wellbeing committee to consider what can be done for #teacher5aday week 2nd-6th December.

So what will you pledge to do this year? Share your pledge with 5 other teachers.







Comments